Telephone: 416 869 5460
Fax: 416 360 8877
Suite 2100, Scotia Plaza
40 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 3C2
Biographie en français
“A reputed practitioner with extensive experience handling franchise transactions and litigation.”
- Client Testimonial, Chambers Canada
Stéphane Teasdale is a partner in our Franchise Group and renowned across the country for his unique expertise in this area.
Stéphane provides legal and strategic counsel in transactional and litigation matters dealing with corporate, commercial, business law, franchising, distribution and intellectual property. He advises prominent Canadian franchise systems expanding internationally, as well as Canadian, American and foreign franchise systems wishing to establish themselves or expand in Canada, particularly in Québec. Stéphane has also advised Canadian systems having expanded internationally to markets such as Europe, Africa, Australia and China.
Stéphane is actively involved in Canadian, American and international franchise associations, and a member of the Quebec Franchise Council. He is frequently invited to lecture in Canada and abroad on franchise and distribution matters related to local, national and international markets. He is the author of numerous articles on the topic.
Prior to joining Cassels Brock, Stéphane was a partner in the Montréal office of a major international law firm. He is perfectly fluent in French and English.
- Advising a Canadian Franchisor on its International expansion in Europe, Africa, Australia and China
- Advising a Canadian Franchisor on the acquisition of another significant Canadian-based franchisor having domestic and International operations
- Advising a Canadian-based franchisor in its multi-million dollar acquisition of several restaurants and properties from an existing franchisee
- Advising a large international European luxury brand group on its expansion into Canada and the US
- Advising several US-based fashion brands on the development and establishment of stores, distribution systems and e-commerce platforms in Canada
- Advising a French-based international cosmetics brand on its expansion in Canada and the US
- Advising a Canadian-based fitness system on its expansion in Canada and abroad
- Advising a large national Canadian-based ‘quick service restaurant’ system on its international expansion in Europe, Australia, the Middle East and North Africa
- Advising a major international US-based franchisor in a multi-million dollar lawsuit by a group of Québec-based franchisees
- “A fine lawyer, noted for his expertise in both contentious and non-contentious franchising matters.” – Chambers Canada (Franchising)
- “A reputed practitioner with extensive experience handling franchise transactions and litigation.” – Chambers Canada (Franchising)
- “His breadth of experience in Quebec makes him a useful addition to a national practice.” – Chambers Canada (Franchising)
University of Ottawa, LL.B., 1987
Publications, Newsletters and Articles
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUE - July 2019
This Week May Be the Deadline for Including Updated Year-End Financial Statements in Your FDD!
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - April 2019
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - December 2018
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - October 2018
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - February 2018
It’s That Time Of Year Again! Does Your Canadian Franchise Disclosure Document Need Annual Updating?
Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
Stéphane Teasdale Discussing "How to Limit Liabiilty Exposure in International Franchise Expansion"
Call to the bar
- Member, Québec Bar
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Franchising
- Chambers Canada 2016–2020 (Franchising)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2008–2019 (Franchising - Franchisor)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2017 (Franchising)
- Franchise Times’ Legal Eagle 2008–2018 (Hall of Fame)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2006–2020 (Franchise)
- Who’s Who Legal 2018 (Franchise Law)
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada 2008-2018 (Franchise)
- Martindale-Hubbell: DistinguishedTM Peer Review Rating
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Québec Franchise Counsel (2015)
- Inducted in the Québec Franchise Counsel Hall of Fame (2017)
Corporate & Commercial
Luxury, Fashion & Retail