Telephone: 416 860 6886
Fax: 416 640 3005
Suite 2100, Scotia Plaza
40 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 3C2
Monique Sassi is an associate practising in the Restructuring and Insolvency Group and the Financial Services Group. Her practice focuses primarily on international and domestic corporate restructurings with a particular emphasis on cross-border commercial restructurings. Monique has expertise in insolvency proceedings in the retail, oil & gas, and renewable energy sectors. In addition, Monique has advised on matters involving financial securitization, non-insolvency restructurings with tranche financings, initial public offerings and acquisitions. She also assists with teaching the Restructuring and Insolvency Course at the University of Windsor, Ontario.
Monique’s experience includes:
- Canadian counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Nortel Networks Inc. and certain of its direct and indirect subsidiaries in cross-border CCAA/Chapter 11 proceedings
- Canadian Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of BPS US Holdings
- Counsel to H.B. White Canada Corp. in connection with its CCAA proceeding and settlement of significant construction contract disputes
- Counsel to Bombay Furniture Company in connection with their cross-border CCAA and Chapter 11 cases, which resulted in the sale of the Bombay Canada business as a going concern
- Counsel to Xinergy Ltd. in connection with its CCAA recognition proceeding
- Representing the underwriters in Callidus Capital Corporation’s $252 million initial public offering
- Acting for Rogers Communications Inc. in connection with a $900 million accounts receivable securitization program
- Acting for Pacific Insight Electronics Corp. in its credit facilities with the Bank of Montreal and Roynat Inc.
Monique is a member of TMA, INSOL and the South African Restructuring Association (SARIPA).
While in law school, Monique completed a semester of law school at NYU Law School, where she completed specialized courses in US Banking Regulation and Commercial Sales. Prior to studying law in Canada, she obtained a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Law and Financial Accounting at the University of the Witswaterand in Johannesburg, South Africa.
J.D., University of Windsor, 2012
B.Comm, University of Witswatersrand (Johannesburg, South Africa), 2009
Publications, Newsletters and Articles
Changes to the Treatment of Intellectual Property in Insolvency Proceedings
Call to the bar
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- SARIPA (South African Restructuring and Insolvency Practitioners Association)
- INSOL (Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals)
- TMA (Turnaround Management Association)
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- ProBono.Org (Johannesburg, South Africa), summer volunteer
Restructuring & Insolvency