Telephone: 416 869 5991
Fax: 416 640 3156
Suite 2100, Scotia Plaza
40 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 3C2
"Highly efficient and always provides practical advice."
- Client Testimonial, Who's Who Legal
Frank Robinson is a partner in the Business Law and Franchise Law Groups.
He practises business law, with a focus on franchising, licensing, distribution and intellectual property. Frank also provides counsel on mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate, commercial and contractual matters.
Frank advises Canadian and international companies on all matters relating to franchising, licensing and distribution including structuring and expansion strategies, legal and regulatory issues, contract drafting and negotiation, intellectual property, and in particular, compliance with Canadian franchise disclosure legislation. Frank has worked with a broad range of product and service distribution, franchise and retail companies, from local start-ups to international and global corporations, and in industries as diverse as financial services, oil and gas, energy, apparel, consumer goods, automotive, telecommunications, food and beverage, software and robotics, childcare and education, commercial and residential services, hospitality and hotels, personal and fitness services, construction and technical services, health and elder care, cannabis, and others.
Frank strives to provide real-time and practical advice on Canadian franchise law, including on matters relating to the following:
- Drafting and updating of franchise agreements and franchise disclosure documents for single unit or area development, master franchising, joint-venture franchising and other expansion programs
- Negotiating all manner of franchise agreements and domestic and international franchise transactions
- Adaptation of foreign franchise documentation and franchise programs for use in Canada
- Advising on the purchase and sale of individual franchises, and franchise systems as a whole
- Formulation and implementation of system-wide or unit-specific franchise disclosure strategies
- Advising on franchise system changes and franchise relationship management
- Providing legal compliance training and ongoing advisory functions throughout all stages of franchise expansion
- Advising on refranchising and buy-back transactions for franchise units
- Managing and advising on franchise disputes
Frank Robinson is listed as a leading practitioner in the area of Franchise Law by Chambers Canada, Lexpert, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers. He received a Lexpert "Rising Star" award, honouring Canada's leading lawyers under 40, in 2017.
- “A very technically savvy lawyer.” – Chambers Canada (Franchising)
- "Extremely responsive, very pragmatic and very knowledgeable about franchise law." – Chambers Canada (Franchising)
- “Clients appreciate his ‘approachable style’ and find him ‘highly knowledgeable’ and ‘very time-responsive.’” – Chambers Canada (Franchising)
University of Windsor, LL.B., 2007
Western University, B.A. (Hons), 2004
Publications, Newsletters and Articles
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUE - July 2019
This Week May Be the Deadline for Including Updated Year-End Financial Statements in Your FDD!
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - April 2019
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - December 2018
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - October 2018
Termination of Benefits Coverage at Age 65 Declared Unconstitutional
Franchise Law e-COMMUNIQUÉ - February 2018
It’s That Time Of Year Again! Does Your Canadian Franchise Disclosure Document Need Annual Updating?
Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
Larry Weinberg and Frank Robinson Speaking at the ABA's 42nd Annual Forum on Franchising
Frank Robinson Speaking on “Frannabis – The Intersection of Cannabis Legalization and Franchising” at the CFA Franchise Law Day
Call to the bar
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising (Director - International Division)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- International Journal of Franchising Law (Associate Editor - Canada)
- Lexpert's Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2017)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Franchising - Franchisor)
- Chambers Canada (Franchising)
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada 2014–2017 (Franchise)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016-2020 (Franchise)
- Franchise Times, "Legal Eagle" (2016-2018)
Hospitality & Tourism
Mergers & Acquisitions