Telephone: 403 351 2659
Fax: 403 648 1151
Suite 3810, Bankers Hall West
888 3rd Street SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5C5
“Well regarded by sources in the Canadian tax market.” - Client Testimonial, Chambers Canada
Doug Richardson is a partner with the Tax Group, based in our Calgary office. His practice focuses on the areas of domestic and international energy related transactions and investments, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and cross-border private equity investments.
Doug has provided tax advice to a number of public and private companies, including public utilities and corporations engaged in the power generation and pipeline business, foreign asset income trusts, and other investment vehicles, and has received advance income tax rulings and legislative amendments where appropriate. He has also provided advice to domestic and international energy clients with respect to internal tax matters, the acquisition and disposition of oil sands, midstream and pipeline assets and the development of LNG projects.
In 2009, Doug participated in the Business and Investment Advisory Committee meetings with the OECD regarding the tax treatment of allowances and tradable permits.
- TransCanada in connection with the issuance by TransCanada Trust of US$1.2 billion of Trust notes, due 2077
- AGT Food and Ingredients Inc. in the $22 million purchase of car loading sites from West Central Road and Rail
- AGT Food and Ingredients Inc. in a $57.5 million share purchase agreement between AGT, its subsidiary, Alliance Pulse Processors Inc. and Mobil Capital Holdings Ltd. to acquire the businesses of Mobil and its subsidiaries — the total purchase price includes the issuance of $19 million of common shares and a $19.5 million promissory note
- OceanaGold Corporation in connection with its $856 million acquisition of all of the shares of Romarco Minerals Inc.
- TransCanada Trust and TransCanada PipeLines Limited in the US$750 million offering of Trust Notes by TransCanada Trust
- TriWest Capital Partners in the $172 million sale of Gardewine Group Limited Partnership to Mullen Group Ltd.
- PTTEP in its arrangement with Statoil ASA to divide their respective interests in the Kai Kos Dehseh (KKD) oil sands project
- ExxonMobil Canada as tax counsel in its agreement to purchase all of Celtic Exploration's outstanding common shares at a cash price of $24.50 per share — the transaction is valued at approximately $3.1 billion
- A consortium of institutional investors led by KERN Partners in their agreement with Osum Oil Sands Corp. to acquire $285 million of a larger private placement of $500 million in equity securities
- Compton Petroleum Corporation and its wholly owned subsidiary, Compton Petroleum Finance Corporation, on a Plan of Arrangement and recapitalization transaction in respect of US$450 million principal amount of senior notes
- “A ‘big name,” he ‘combines his tax expertise with a very acute business sense when providing his consultation.’” – Chambers Canada (Tax)
- Well regarded by sources in the Canadian tax market.” – Chambers Canada (Tax)
- "Combines his tax expertise with a very acute business sense when providing his consultation." – Chambers Global (Tax)
Dalhousie University, LL.B., 1987
Call to the bar
Alberta, 1988; Nova Scotia, 1990
- Member of the editorial board of the Federated Press' publication on Resource Taxation
- Former Director of the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society (2004)
- Chambers Canada (Tax)
- Chambers Global (Tax)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Corporate Tax) (2018)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Tax)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Tax)
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada (Corporate Tax)
- Who’s Who Legal 100: The International Who’s Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers
- Expert Guides in Tax: World’s Leading Tax Advisors
Energy: Oil & Gas and Utilities
Mergers & Acquisitions
Real Estate Investment Trusts