Daniel A. Zuniga
Telephone: 403 351 3055
Fax: 403 648 1151
Suite 3810, Bankers Hall West
888 3rd Street SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5C5
Daniel Zuniga is a partner in the firm’s Business Law Group, based in our Calgary office. Daniel's practice focuses on corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and general corporate matters.
Daniel offers particular expertise in advising clients in private placements, public offerings, corporate reorganizations and acquisitions and dispositions of shares and business assets. He has acted for both purchasers and vendors in connection with various equity and asset transactions and for both issuers and underwriters in connection with debt and equity financings.
Daniel also has extensive experience in advising both start-up and emerging companies, private equity and venture capital firms with respect to the formation, organization, financing, sale, and acquisition of start-up and emerging companies, particularly in the technology sector. This expertise includes the organization of companies to venture-backed standards, non-dilutive financings, angel and seed investments, Series A and other preferred share financings, and exit transactions.
Prior to joining Cassels Brock, Daniel was an associate in the Calgary office of a major national firm.
- The consortium of purchasers in connection with the purchase and subsequent sale of a National Hockey League franchise
- AGT Food and Ingredients Inc. in connection with its $436 million take-private transaction and its $200 million bond tender offer and consent solicitation
- The syndicate of underwriters in connection with the $1.7 billion initial public offering of Kinder Morgan Canada Limited and subsequent $300 million and $250 million preferred share offerings by Kinder Morgan Canada Limited
- Procera Networks Inc., an affiliate of Francisco Partners, in connection with the $562 million acquisition of TSX-listed network policy control solutions company Sandvine Corporation
- The syndicate of underwriters in connection with Birchcliff Energy Ltd.’s $690.8 million public offering and concurrent private placement of subscription receipts
- Zephyr Sleep Technologies in connection with its series A financing
- Acumen Capital Finance Partners Ltd. in connection with Marquee Energy Ltd.’s private placement of “flow-through” common shares
- A New York-based private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a controlling interest in an Alberta resource company
- Illumina, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of GenoLogics Life Sciences Software Inc.
- Traverse Energy Inc. in connection with various brokered and non-brokered private placements of shares
- MATRRIX Energy Technologies Inc. in connection with various debt and equity private placements and asset and corporate acquisitions
- Kanata Energy Group Ltd. in its establishment and committed capital financing by private equity sponsors of $335 million
- Novariant, Inc. in its merger with TSX-listed AgJunction Inc.
University of Toronto, J.D., 2012
University of Calgary, B.Comm. (Finance, with distinction), 2008
University of Calgary, B.A. (International Relations, with distinction), 2008
Call to the bar
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Downtown Legal Services, University of Toronto, Student Case Worker
- University of Calgary Dinosaurs Varsity Soccer, Alumni
Emerging Companies & Technology
Mergers & Acquisitions