Telephone: 778 372 7655
Fax: 778 372 7843
Suite 2200, HSBC Building
885 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3E8
Brigeeta Richdale is a partner in our litigation group with an emphasis on securities litigation and regulatory matters, class actions defence, fraud and enforcement proceedings, corporate/commercial disputes and representation of financial institutions and investment advisors. Brigeeta's practice has a strong focus on international asset tracing, conducting investigations with internal and external auditors, enforcement of foreign judgments and orders, Worldwide Mareva Injunctions, Anton Piller orders, and Norwich Pharmacal orders. She has significant experience with litigation resulting from Ponzi schemes, offshore banking and money laundering, fraudulent conveyances, investment fraud, employee fraud and theft, and investment disputes.
Brigeeta has experience in public company litigation including takeover bid litigation, proxy battles, directors' and officers' liability litigation, shareholder rights, oppression and derivative proceedings, and broker-dealer litigation. Brigeeta represents clients in litigation proceedings on employment matters including employee theft and fraud, and provides strategic employment advice to management on workplace investigations and compliance assessments.
Brigeeta has extensive experience in matters involving investigations and enforcement proceedings before various Securities Commissions, the RCMP's Commercial Crime division, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the Mutual Fund Dealer's Association (MFDA), and well as national and international agencies including Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and Interpol. Brigeeta represents clients at the investigative stage and throughout enforcement actions on matters involving allegations of fraud, insider trading, illegal distributions, market manipulation, discretionary trading, and suitability matters.
As a former litigator in the Enforcement Department at the British Columbia Securities Commission (BCSC), Brigeeta successfully prosecuted a variety of complex and high profile cases. As a former Criminal Investigator, Certified Fraud Examiner and Special Provincial Constable, Brigeeta investigated breaches of the Securities Act and Criminal Code.
Brigeeta regularly speaks at national and international conferences, continuing legal education seminars and at law schools on the topics of securities law, fraud investigations and professional responsibility and ethics.
Brigeeta is the Chair of the Canadian Client Consultation Committee that regulates and oversees the Canadian law school moot for client interviewing. She is also the Canadian delegate for the Louis M. Brown and Forrest S. Mosten International Interviewing Foundation.
Brigeeta is a member of Transparency International Canada Inc. and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners' Vancouver Chapter and sits on the International Advisory Council of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. Brigeeta is also a member of the American Bar Association.
- Representation of international corporation in optical disk drives price fixing class action, defending an optical disk drive manufacturer at the Supreme Court of Canada
- Representation of national corporation in securities class action and in connection with investigations by securities regulatory authorities
- Advising clients in technology and cryptocurrency industries including navigation and application of securities laws and regulation of ICOs and ITOs
- Representation of financial institutions and investment advisors on issues involving errors and omissions liability
- Representation of resource companies on directors and officers liability and insurance matters
- Advising clients with cybersecurity matters including incident response and related litigation
- Counsel for national corporation for enforcement of foreign judgment, garnishment of accounts and seizure and sale of debtor’s assets
- Representation of creditor regarding enforcement of judgment under the Court Order Enforcement Act
- Representation of bidders and targets in hostile takeover bid litigation
- Representation of market participants in criminal and regulatory proceedings
- Representation of issuers and individual directors and officers in breach of fiduciary duty, misrepresentation and fraud proceedings, including Worldwide Mareva Injunctions, Norwich Application and Anton Piller proceedings
- Representation of public resource companies in litigation and regulatory aspects of a contested proxy contest for control of the board of directors
- Representation of minority shareholders, creditors and directors and officers in successful oppression actions, including immediate removal of members of the board of directors
- Representation of public mining company in litigation and regulatory aspects of a hostile takeover bid
- Representation of director of a public resource company in an internal and external police and securities regulatory investigation involving corruption and fraud
- Representation of TSX, TSX-V, NYSE MKT listed companies in connection with acquisitions pursuant to court approved plan of arrangement
- Canadian counsel to international financial institution with respect to money laundering investigations by Canadian authorities
University of Victoria, J.D., 2009
University of British Columbia, B.A. (Honours), 2005
Publications, Newsletters and Articles
Class Actions e-COMMUNIQUÉ - August 2019
No Harm, But Still a Foul: Ontario Securities Commission Takes Strong Stance on Misleading Disclosure in the Emerging Crypto Industry
The Spectre of Regulation Looms for Crypto Asset Trading Platforms
US Federal Court Rules Cryptocurrency Covered Under Securities Laws: Will Canada Follow Suit?
Jail Time for Securities Regulatory Offences – Vancouver Court Hands Down 3 Year Sentence
Canadian Securities Litigation Outlook 2018: Trends to Watch for Capital Markets Participants
In the Public Interest: BCSC Panel Finds Man Abused BC's Capital Markets
Class Actions e-COMMUNIQUÉ - September 2018
British Columbia Becomes More Plaintiff Friendly With Adoption of the Class Proceedings Amendment Act
CSA Issues Notice of Revocation of Exemptions to Securities Registration
CSA Issues Securities Law Implications for Token Offerings
Class Actions e-COMMUNIQUÉ - April 2018
Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
Brigeeta Richdale is a Panelist Discussing "Fraud Preparedness: Is Your Business/Workspace Safe from Fraudsters?"
Brigeeta Richdale Speaking as Part of the 12th National Congress of Internal Audit - XII CONAI 2019
Brigeeta Richdale Looking at "Navigating cross-border criminal, regulatory and civil investigations"
Brigeeta Richdale Speaking on "Cryptofraud and New Generation Fraudsters"
Brigeeta Richdale Speaking on "Ethics Under Pressure: Principles vs. Profits"
Brigeeta Richdale and Jessica Lewis Spoke on "Avoiding Financial Fraud"
Brigeeta Richdale and Jessica Lewis Speaking on "Recent Trends in Enforcement"
Brigeeta Richdale Speaking on "Understanding Financial Fraud"
Brigeeta Richdale Presenting "Trends in Securities Enforcement"
Call to the bar
British Columbia, 2010
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (International Advisory Council)
- Transparency International Canada Inc.
- The Advocates' Society
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- Vancouver Chapter – Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Canadian Bar Association
White Collar Crime & Regulatory Response