Telephone: 416 869 5312
Fax: 416 640 3199
Suite 2100, Scotia Plaza
40 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 3C2
Ben Goodis is an associate in the firm's Restructuring and Insolvency Group and Financial Services Group. Ben’s practice focuses primarily on domestic and cross-border commercial reorganizations, including proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, as well as informal restructuring proceedings. He has gained experience in both the corporate/commercial and litigation aspects of restructuring and insolvency. Prior to becoming an associate, Ben was a summer and articling student at the firm.
Ben has acted for a variety of stakeholders involved in, or affected by, commercial restructurings. Recently, he has worked as part of the Cassels Brock team on several significant matters, including:
- Acting for Connacher Oil and Gas Limited in connection with its CCAA proceedings;
- Acting for Banro Corporation in connection with its CCAA proceedings;
- Acting for the Term DIP Lenders to Sears Canada Inc., in connection with its CCAA proceedings;
- Acting for Index Energy Mills Road Corporation in connection with its CCAA proceedings;
- Acting for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of BPS US Holdings Inc., et al. in connection with the debtors’ concurrent Chapter 11 and CCAA proceedings; and
- Acting for Tenor Capital Management as the DIP lender to Crystallex International Corporation in connection with its cross-border restructuring.
Ben completed his J.D. at the University of Windsor Faculty of Law. He received the E. Bruce Leonard prize, awarded by the Insolvency Institute of Canada, for achieving top standing in Restructuring & Insolvency law. As a student, Ben was a member of Faculty Council and participated in the Zuber Moot and the Hockey Arbitration Competition of Canada. In the fall of 2014, he spent a term studying abroad at the University of Lucerne in Switzerland.
Prior to studying law, Ben graduated on the Dean’s List from Western University with an Honours Specialization in Political Science.
University of Windsor, J.D., 2015
Western University, B.A., 2011
Call to the bar
Restructuring & Insolvency