Andrew M. Reback
Telephone: 416 860 2980
Fax: 416 640 3006
Suite 2100, Scotia Plaza
40 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 3C2
Andrew Reback is Chair of the Tax Group and has extensive experience in cross-border mergers and acquisitions/divestitures, domestic and international tax planning, corporate reorganizations, public offerings, financings and estate planning.
Andrew's experience includes:
- Representing PerfectServe, Inc., a portfolio company owned by K1 Investment Management LLC, regarding its acquisition of SmartPager Systems Inc. d/b/a TelmedIQ, a leading provider of secure information platforms for the health care industry
- Representing K1 Investment Management, LLC, a leading technology-focused private equity fund, in numerous platform and add-on acquisitions of technology companies
- Representing Wynnchurch Capital, LLC regarding its portfolio company Limestone Holdings Corporation, a US limestone quarries and building products supplier in respect of its merger with natural stone producer, Polycor Holdings Inc., a portfolio company of Torquest Partners Inc.
- Representing NFP Corp., a leading insurance broker and consultant regarding its acquisition of Dalton Timmis Insurance Group Inc.
- Representing Evolocity Financial Group Ltd., a leading financial technology company, in a financing with the Bank of Montreal
- Representing Kayne Anderson Real Estate Advisors in its sale of a portfolio of assets to Mapletree Investments
- Representing Versapay Corporation regarding the sale of its Merchant Services business to BluePay Canada, ULC
- Representing Apogee Enterprises Inc. regarding its $135 million acquisition of Sotawall Inc.
- Representing the shareholders of GGY International Inc. regarding their sale to Moody's Corporation
- Representing Evolocity Financial Group Inc. in a $22.5 million debt and equity financing with Seer Capital Partners
- Representing Hitachi Capital Canada Corp. in the acquisition of CLE Leasing Enterprises Ltd.
- Representing Contrans Group Inc. in its acquisition by TransForce Inc.
- Representing Claron Technology Inc. in its $37 million sale to Lexmark International Inc.
- Representing US private equity group Trivest Partners, L.P. regarding its sale of Hazmasters Inc. to WESCO International, Inc.
- Representing Falck Global Safety B.V. regarding its acquisition of a majority of shares of Survival Systems Integrated Services Ltd., a provider of safety services in the oil and gas, aviation and military industries
- Representing Plant Products Co. Ltd. regarding the sale of its Canadian distribution business to MGS Horticultural Inc. and the sale of its specialty fertilizer manufacturing business to Master Plant-Prod Inc., a subsidiary of Haifa Chemicals Ltd.
- Representing Burger King Corporation regarding its sale of the shares of Burger King Restaurants of Canada Inc. to Redberry Investments Corp.
- Representing Trivest Partners, LP regarding its acquisition of Hazmasters Inc.
- Representing Yancoal Canada Resources Co., Ltd. a subsidiary of Yanzhou Coal Mining Company Limited regarding its acquisition of potash mineral exploration permits in the Province of Saskatchewan from Devonian Potash Inc. and North Atlantic Potash Inc.
- Representing various US-based restaurant chains and food service businesses in structuring their expansion into Canada
- Representing CF Industries Holdings, Inc. regarding its acquisition of Viterra's interest in Canadian Fertilizers Limited
- Representing the majority shareholders of MBE Transatlantic Inc., a company carrying on the Mail Boxes Etc. and The UPS Store business, regarding their share sale to Next Level Holdings Inc.
- Representing Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. regarding its acquisition of the Chrysler Group of Companies
- Representing Pfizer Inc. and Pfizer Canada Inc. regarding the US$16.6 billion sale of the Pfizer Consumer Healthcare Business to Johnson & Johnson Inc.
- Representing Cushman & Wakefield, Inc. regarding its acquisition of Royal LePage Commercial Inc.
- Representing Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. regarding its acquisition of assets and interests relating to the Alamo and National Car rental business
- Representing Cargojet Income Fund regarding its $60 million initial public offering and acquisition of Cargojet Holdings Inc.
- Representing Golf Town Income Fund regarding its $110 million initial public offering and acquisition of Golf Town Canada Inc.
- Representing Amtelecom Income Fund regarding its $60 million initial public offering and acquisition of the communications business of Amtelecom Group Inc.
- Representing BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. regarding its $228 million valued acquisition of Glyko Biomedical Ltd.
- Representing Contrans Income Fund regarding its conversion to an income trust and $50 million initial public offering
- Representing TVX Gold Inc. regarding its $3.5 billion business combination by way of plan of arrangement with Kinross Gold Corporation and Echo Bay Mines Ltd.
- Representing Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. regarding its acquisition of telecommunication assets from various Teleglobe-related entities
- Representing various athletes such as members of the Toronto Raptors in structuring tax planning strategies
- Representing various high net worth individuals regarding tax planning strategies
Andrew also represents clients in relation to assessments by Canada Revenue Agency and the Ministry of Finance. He is frequently consulted on matters relating to the acquisition of Canadian entities by foreign corporations as well as the acquisition of foreign entities by Canadian corporations.
In addition to his legal practice, Andrew is an author. He is the co-author of the Canada–U.S. Commercial Law Guide. He is also frequently quoted in the National Post and has spoken on various topics at tax seminars held in Toronto. Andrew spoke at the Restaurant Finance and Development Conference on US companies expanding into Canada.
Andrew completed one year of the core course at McGill's Faculty of Management (1987–1988) before transferring to the Faculty of Law.
Biographie en français
McGill University, LL.B., 1992
McGill University, B.C.L., 1992
Publications, Newsletters and Articles
Private Equity e-COMMUNIQUÉ - August 2018
Non-Resident Private Equity Investors and Management Fees - Some Canadian Tax Considerations
Changes to Canada’s Income Tax Act and Impact on Equipment Finance
Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
Len Glickman and Andrew Reback, Panelists, Discussing "It’s A Mess: What Happens When You Don’t Pay Attention When Your Clients are Crossing Borders"
Call to the bar
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Ontario Bar Association
Energy: Renewable & Clean Technology
Hospitality & Tourism
Luxury, Fashion & Retail
Mergers & Acquisitions
Real Estate Investment Trusts